Bachelor’s degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense TS/SCI with Polygraph security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. Employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
The Advanced Systems Engineer position requires someone with a proactive mindset to build and maintain critical systems as part of an Agile team that supports a Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery pipeline involving end-to-end system performance validation efforts.
The Advanced Systems Engineer will ensure various lab environments are installed, configured, maintained, and representative of customer environments to ensure various stakeholders can perform necessary integration, testing, and training efforts. This includes setting up VMs, services, containers, datastores, and working to insert new tech into the environments.
The ideal candidate must be able to work independently under pressure and effectively identify, recommend, and solve system related issues to ensure lab environments, test environments, and various applications are properly configured to meet program needs at all times.
The ideal candidate is:
- a strong team player/collaborator who works effectively with remote, non-collocated teams
- a strong problem solver who drives resolutions for system interdependencies/issues
- a strong communicator who provides clear status updates across various stakeholders
In addition to maintaining systems and solving problems, novel system solutions will be greatly valued, especially using the latest accepted system technologies to gain efficiencies in maintenance and testing.
The ideal candidate will have a general passion for designing, configuring, and maintaining complex system environments and will possess an inquisitive mind that can quickly adapt and work effectively with a variety of stakeholders including, software developers, testers, trainers, security teams, management, outside vendors, etc.
The selected candidate will work with collaborative teams to perform technical activities that impact the design and performance of multiple advanced software systems.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Required for this position:
- Engineering Skills / Experience:
- Hardware support (Cisco, NetApp, HP Bladesystem, Dell Servers, Isilon NAS and/or similar technology)
- System installation/management (rack and cable new hardware)
- Inventory Management and Asset Cataloging/Disposition
- VM allocation and setup
- Knowledge of Operating System and software (Windows, Linux OS versions, Docker, Kubernetes, and related technology)
- Database installation/maintenance (SQL/NoSQL and large datasets)
- Installation/management of commercial software tools (K8, Docker, Apache ZooKeeper, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, Apache Kafka)
- In-lab and on-site engineering support
- System administration, troubleshooting and problem resolution expertise (e.g., setting/configuration issues, in support to test/operational activities
- Scripted installation of program software
- Advanced system design and engineering experience in on-prem and in-cloud
- Designing, deploying and managing systems and related microservices in the cloud and on multiple virtual/physical platforms
- Virtualization and Cloud design/build/install/support (C2S/AWS, ESX/ESXi and vCenter Server)
- Cross and/or Mirrored Domain Implementations
- DevOps Engineering Skills:
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) Pipeline
- Test and integration expertise, DEVOPS and similar experience
- Ansible, Tower
- Provide Quality Assurance function for deliverable software as required
- Foundational Skills:
- Flexible and versatile enough to work on a variety of different tasks and technologies
- Strong communication skills
- Strong team collaborator
- Well-informed of current and future technologies
- Strong hands-on experience
- Problem-solver, well-versed in troubleshooting
- Self-starter, does not need training in software engineering/computer science fundamentals
- Planning and tracking team delegation
- Subject matter expert (SME) in one discipline/field and developing working knowledge in adjacent disciplines/fields
- Proficient understanding and application of engineering principles, concepts, practices, and standards
- The ability to multitask and sustain multiple operational systems simultaneously based on current operational needs
Preferred for this position:
- Engineering Skills / Experience:
- Designing, deploying and managing system applications, thick clients, and related microservices in the cloud and on multiple virtual/physical platforms
- Imagery and motion imagery system support experience
- Troubleshooting and negotiating insertion of new tech
- Creative thinking with the ability to multi-task
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Familiar with scripting languages