Title: Director of Surgical Services – Dallas, TX
# of Positions: 1
Schedule: Full time – Days
Position Director of Surgical Services Department leads the perioperative team by focusing on safe patient care while effectively managing operations. The Director Surgical Services has 24/7 responsibility for their departments.
•Bachelor’s degree required – Magnet facility
•Master’s degree MHA, MSN, MBA, or related field preferred
Minimum Work Experience
•3+ years of experience in Surgical Services, preferably OR nursing required
•3+ years of experience in a leadership role preferred
•MUST have acute care experience
•MUST have BIG facility experience with 20+ OR’s
•Currently licensed as a registered professional nurse in the state in which practices, in accordance with law and regulation required
•Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) preferred
•Certified Surgical Services Manager (CSSM) preferred
Types of Services: Biggest case mix – is general, then ortho, BMT, transplant – have big kidney transplant program, do a lot of robotic womenx procedures….very lengthy cases, do everything
# of Cases per year / Annual Volumes: Volume – average on weekday around 60 cases a day, had record high year with 103 cases last year, never cleared 100
Yearly Inpatient Surgeries – 11,298
Yearly Outpatient Surgeries – 8,495
Yearly Births – 3700
# of OR’s: 31 – 4 lytho procedure rooms
#FTE overseeing: 120
Is there Managers/Supervisor: 2 Managers
Who does the Director report to: It will report to a VP Surgical Services. Just added that position, so for now it will report to VP Operations, & then all of Surgical ultimately reports the COO.
· 31 OR’s, 4 lytho procedure rooms – MUST have BIG facility experience
· This role will have: main OR’s, lytho, & anesthesia tech call center.
· FTE’s – 120.
· Have 2 managers reporting up to this role. One is OR business manager.Historically had 2 clinical managers
· 2nd Director has all outpatient surgery endo & recovery, 3rd Director has Sterile processing. They would collaborate with both of those peer directors, but do not have operational oversight for those areas
· It will report to a VP Surgical Services. Just added that position, so for now it will report to Nick Johnson, VP Operations, & then all of Surgical ultimately reports the COO, Ben Coogan
· Someone that can be very relational with staff & the physicians.
· Have had Magnet status since 2003. Must have BSN, prefer Masters Prepared
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Accurately identifies real/potential problems affecting the service and implements solutions with follow through and communication.
• Actively participates in service, departmental and hospital wide committees as assigned, providing ongoing communication to those one represents.
• Advances the customer experience in Surgical Services.
• Coaches subordinates providing feedback; constructive critique of work; facilitates individual development plan; and documents their job performance.
• Adheres to all Human Resource policies.
• Effectively communicates departmental, organization and industry information to staff.
• Facilitates evidence-based employee engagement practices.
• Effectively builds strong relationships and networks to deliver upon organizational and department goals.
• Participate in employee and patient rounding Identifies and mentor potential future leaders
• Enforces standards of care for surgical services and develops processes to measure and ensure consistent compliance.
• Develops, implements, and evaluates an ongoing surgical services program which assures quality patient care consistent with the Hospital mission.
• Monitors compliance with regulatory, accrediting and hospital policy, environmental, patient, and personnel safety
• Oversees a PI program that consistently monitors and evaluates critical aspects of care.
• Responsible for department’s operational excellence by ensuring delivery of quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, and professional standards.
• Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans/Blood borne and Airborne Pathogens.
• Enforces safe procedural site and patient verification policy
• Monitors and responds to quality event reporting
• Supports new program strategies and/or program enhancements which would expand patient services.
• Develops, prioritizes and defends a capital equipment requests.
• Is responsible for the fiscal management of department; assures proper utilization of organization’s financial resources.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Vacation Time, Sign on Bonus