The Project Engineer is the single point of accountability for the end-to-end project process necessary for a Capital Project to deliver on business objectives. Clearly sets overall Project Leadership Team direction and expectations. The Project Engineer provides the primary interface between the Project Leadership Team and the Business and leads all necessary communication forums.
- Leads project teams often consisting of cross functional teams and contract engineering to meet business objectives.
- Accountable for generating and implementing appropriate project execution strategy for design, procurement and construction while ensuring each project’s execution strategy is “sanitized” to suit the specific needs of each project with the goal being to provide a competitive and lean approach with an expedient execution timeline.
- Engages the project steering team as needed to ensure alignment with business, address any needs or concerns, make strategic project decisions, and provide status updates throughout execution of projects.
- Provides leadership for an effective and cohesive team by ensuring roles and responsibilities are clearly understood.
- Ensures applicable project deliverable are accomplished in a quality manner, and leads the project gatekeeping reviews.
- Leads the team in identifying non-cap alternatives or lower capital options.
- Ensures excellence in adherence to Process Safety Management (PSM), Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) excellence, Mechanical Integrity and Quality Assurance (MIQA) requirements, export controls and trade secrets principles, and other core value standards, processes and procedures.
- Facilitates economic evaluations, prepares funding requests, forecasts capital and non-cap expenditures and asset write-offs, and ensures necessary financial reporting and accounting is performed.
- Champions the “no change” concept and ensures only changes consistent with the business and project objectives are approved.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of Project Quality Plans, including auditing work processes and deliverables for compliance, and for meeting agreed upon project quality requirements and expectations.
- Work with business and technical leadership to identify and comply with any US Export Control and Trade Secret/Intellectual Property/Security requirements for the project.
- Primary DuPont interface with the Full Service Design Contractors (FSDC) during Front-End Loading (FEL) and Design/Procurement of assigned capital projects.
- Engage with the sites to support the preparation of all documents needed by the FSDC to launch their efforts to complete FEL and execute production design and procurement.
- Champion productivity improvement strategies including High Value Engineering (HVE), Global Competitive Sourcing (GCS) and LEAN Construction Methodologies, etc.
- Drive full integration of project team to develop deliverables in the most effective and efficient way.
- 4-year B.S. in Engineering (Chemical preferred).
- At least 5-10 years of experience leading capital projects greater than $500,000
- Experience working with full-service design contractors.
- Knowledge of best-in-class capital work processes and KPI’s.
- Prior experience Stage-Gate or Phase-Gate process.
- A bias for execution, results oriented, and demonstrated courage (need to challenge the status quo).
- A deep understanding of capital project estimating processes.