6-month contract position with the possibility of extension/conversion.
At Reliant, we provide energy and other home services to retail customers, including homes, businesses, manufacturing facilities, government entities and institutions across Texas. As part of NRG Energy, we are backed by one of the nation’s largest power producers. We pride ourselves in providing innovative solutions to our customers. As part of our innovation efforts, we are seeking a Product Manager to play a crucial role in developing new products and businesses around emerging technologies (e.g. big data, digital, renewables, Internet of Things) as well as more traditional products that support our existing commodity business. This could also include helping to manage new ventures as they get off the ground.
The Product Manager is involved in every aspect of the product development process, from brainstorming the next product innovation to working directly with the business to launch. The candidate will use a start-up mindset and the full range of product development skills to drive insight, action, and impact on high profile opportunities, through creative problem solving, rigorous analysis, and collaboration with a variety of stakeholders. This position is for a multi-dimensional person: someone who is passionate about energy management, creativity and innovation, as well as grounded in business, strategy and project management.
• Provide thought leadership through hard-hitting, high quality data analysis and research.
• Work closely with analytics, research and technology partner to ensure systems and programs are satisfying consumer needs and driving the business.
• Develop compelling and creative strategy and business model recommendations around innovation opportunities.
• Potentially helping to lead these new businesses from inception and beyond.
• Work to identify market white space opportunities with a strong correlation to Reliant’s value proposition and core strengths.
• Partner with existing lines of business to identify and develop new breakthrough growth platforms.
• Drive business impact by contributing to product design, testing/piloting, and market launch efforts.
• Pre-empt issues and head off problems by ensuring all operational implications of the products are identified and resolved prior to the successful product launch.
• Bring clarity to ambiguous business issues using a structured, hypothesis-driven problem solving approach.
• Custodian of the customer’s needs. Identifies, understands and represents the customer’s needs in the development of products, channels, and new opportunities for the company.
• Lead, administer and track projects from concept through handoff to Marketing for launch.
• Collaborate effectively in cross-functional project teams, facilitating positive energy/engagement and helping elevate capabilities of others.
• Be able to listen well, effectively negotiate and diplomatically manage conflicting points of view, as well as influence others in an organization to ensure alignment and progress.
• Closely monitor testing of new concepts focusing on potential improvements.
• Influence leadership team decisions through clear communication and a professional, collaborative engagement style.
• Enroll successive levels of management to gain support and resources to take new products to completion.
• Coordinate the effort to fully define vendor strategies and implementation requirements.
• Train stakeholders on new products and interfaces, including new features and customer experience.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Engineering, or related degree. An advanced degree is preferred.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
A minimum of 8+ years of working experience.
Product management, product marketing, or product development experience required.
Service Industry experience is preferred (mortgage, insurance, credit card, internet, telephone, and delivery services).
Prior experience in working with cross-functional teams is required.