Title: VP of Surgical Services – Dallas, TX
# of Positions: 1
Schedule: Full time – Days
Position VP of Surgical Services Drives operational excellence throughout the service area and leads growth of service line volume within facility, development of new programs and advancement of existing ones. Partners with senior administrators, executives and professional staff to distinguish his/her facilities’ services and experience in the eyes of the physician, patient and consumers.
Executes Strategy by:
• Scanning the competitive environment, leading business planning process and providing strategies to drive profitable service line growth while reducing costs per case.
• Partnering closely with senior executives, sales and marketing executives and service line management to enable growth strategies.
• Developing business case, including financials, for new program development and capital projects.
• Identifying and driving new physician and volume opportunities for the hospital ensuring alignment with clinical leaders.
• Working together with marketing and physician relations executives to promote the services to physicians and consumers.
• Collaborating with physicians to develop and foster positive working relationships.
Increases Operational Efficiency by:
• Monitoring key operational and financial metrics for improvement opportunities.
• Driving process improvement within the service line to increase employee engagement and physicians satisfaction.
• Enabling finding solutions to problems that get in the way of differentiated service.
• Working with hospital administrative team and department director(s) for program development, implementation, execution monitoring and evaluation of services at the hospital.
• Ensuring physician and professional staff have the necessary equipment to perform.
• Participating in hospital annual budgeting process related to service line.
• Engaging with national, division and facility service lines leaders to obtain and share best practices in service line.
• Supporting the recruitment process to secure staffing talent.
Improves Clinical Outcomes by:
• Supporting a positive patient experience by providing optimal cost effective delivery of services by physicians and professional staff within a safe department
• Ensuring that oversight, processes and resources are in place to improve clinical outcomes
• Enabling clinical excellence by aligning goals with the clinical leaders and removing barriers for clinical practice as needed
• Communicating to clinical leaders any matters that can affect the clinical operations and deferring clinical judgments to those leaders
• Participating in rounding with patients and meeting with physicians and staff to ensure a high quality patient experience
• Collaborating with the facility surgical procedure schedulers focusing on accurate data collection and customer service to increase the surgical volume
•Master’s degree MHA, MSN, MBA, or related field PREFERRED
•Bachelor’s degree required – Magnet facility
Minimum Work Experience
MUST BE A RN
•5-7+ years of experience in Surgical Services, preferably OR nursing required
•5+ years of experience in a leadership role preferred
•MUST have acute care experience
•MUST have BIG facility experience with 30+ OR’s
***MUST BE A RN***
•Currently licensed as a registered professional nurse in the state in which practices, in accordance with law and regulation required
•Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) preferred
•Certified Surgical Services Manager (CSSM) preferred
Types of Services: Biggest case mix – is general, then ortho, BMT, transplant – have big kidney transplant program, do a lot of robotic womenx procedures….very lengthy cases, do everything
# of Cases per year / Annual Volumes: Volume – average on weekday around 60 cases a day, had record high year with 103 cases last year, never cleared 100
Yearly Inpatient Surgeries – 11,298
Yearly Outpatient Surgeries – 8,495
Yearly Births – 3700
# of OR’s: 31 – 4 lytho procedure rooms
#FTE overseeing: 200
Directors : 3 Directors report to the VP
Who does the VP Report to : Reports the COO